Thursday, December 30, 2010

Ugh, ugh, ugh

So, I was watching Narnia tonight with Shauna and when this scene with Lucy started where she does some incantation and magical snow appears and she thinks it's all wonderful.

As she stood in wondering awe, I thought, "Only a kid would think snow is magical". Because it isn't. It sucks. I hate it. And the last 24 hours reminded me why. First, yesterday I got stuck in the snow and took a half hour to get out. Then, on my way home from the movie with Felix in the back my car started skidding out of control when I tried to stop for a light. Instead of stopping, I slid straight through the intersection and did a 360. Luckily, there was no one on my side of the road or in the intersection and I slammed into the sidewalk and stopped. But while we skidded and spun around I found myself yelling, "HOLD ON FELIX!!!!" I don't know how much good that did, but it was all I could do. It was horrible. I teared up and drove straight home and resolved to not go anywhere until the weather clears.

7 comments:

Erinn and Ryan said...

Aw, that stinks. I have big enough driving phobias as it is -- icy roads would probably keep me housebound. Plus, everything is soooo much more scary when your kid is in the car. You should just move down here. Problem solved.

Kory said...

I'm with Erinn. Let's convince everyone to move back to California. I'm done with the bad weather. I catch myself wondering if winter will be over next week. It won't be. Stuff like that is always worsened when you have your kid in the car.

Kendra said...

I'm sorry. That sucks. I hate driving in the snow when it's crazy like that. But it is kind of magical...ok, you're probably not ready to hear that. Oh, and your story of yelling out to Felix kind of made me laugh. It was cute. But again...sorry for the bad experiences. :(

Amy said...

oh man! That is sooo scary, I would have cried too. I stay home unless I have to drive then I only drive if the roads are somewhat clear.

We got new tires this summer and it has made all the difference compared to last year. But still I hate the ice. It sucks.

rain said...

I think snow is magical. I don't like driving in it, for sure. And I don't, if possible. But, I do love something about all that whiteness everywhere. However, I hear you about being terrified of driving in bad weather with kids. It wasn't until Riley that I understood why people have those STUPID "baby on board" signs. It's not that people are telling you, "Hey, we have a baby". They're telling you, "Please don't drive like a dumbass, because our prized possession is in this piece of tin and we are scared that you won't care".
This is the problem with that:
1. Those signs are still stupid.
And
2. Even though now I understand what they're trying to say, drivers here are still dumbasses, and most of them are kids with no babies. So they won't get it, anyway.

Amy said...

Ps just after I read your post and made my comment, I got a call from my mom that my sister was rear ended by this huge truck, with all 3 of her boys in the back of her car. Her trunk was totally smashed but luckily all were ok. So scary.

maida said...

I hate to drive in the snow too. It's really scary when you have a little one in the car. Every time there is a bad storm I just pray that all my family is safe.