Sunday, October 3, 2010

Poor Kitty Kitty

I know some of you are not animal lovers or even animal likers, so this post is not for you. Of course if you are an animal liker then this might be too sad. It was really sad for us. One day last week I didn't see our kitten all day, but that isn't that unusual. So we went until that night and didn't pay much attention. However, it got to be around 10:30ish at night and she hadn't come in. We searched for her in the yard and couldn't find her. Usually we'd just leave her, but since our encounter with the raccoons we've been keeping the garage door closed, so she can't just wander in when she wants to now. So I kept looking for her. In the back I kept calling for her and finally I got a response. I figured out that she was in the neighbor's tree, but couldn't see her. Kyle came out and he had to jump the fence and I had to pass him a ladder over the fence so he could climb up and get her. She sounded so horribly sad. I had never heard her like that. Kyle got her down and passed me her over the fence. She smelled awful and her leg was covered with blood and she couldn't walk on it. After an expensive trip to the vet the next morning, in which the vet had to sedate her because she was attacking everyone who touched her, we found out that she was bitten and fractured her pelvis. The vet thinks she was hit by a car, Kyle thinks she fell out of the tree while being attacked. Kyle thinks it was the neighbor cat. But we aren't sure if it was him or the raccoons or the neighbor's dog. Whoever it was, it was really sad. For a week she didn't move and had to live on our couch (and then our bed when Keri came, because she was scared of Keri). But the past couple of days she has started walking around and seems to be healing well. We were so scared we were going to have to put her to sleep if she was more seriously injured and was going to need surgery. I cried a lot about it, but now I am so relieved that she is getting better. I thought after Felix was born that I didn't care much about the kitten, but this made me realize that I still do.

4 comments:

rain said...

I'm not an animal lover, but I'm not an animal hater, either. And if the animal is mine...I love it. I think this is why I refuse to be an animal owner. But I hate when animals are hurt. And that was sad about your kitten. If I would have found her crying and bleeding and alone, I would have cried, too.

Amy said...

That broke my heart when kyle told me. I don't like cats, but I like yours. She is so sweet, and not obnoxious at all.

For that reason alone, I wish animals could talk to us. Kory and I always say wont it be interesting when we all go to heaven and our dogs can tell us how they REALLY feel. It's sad when they are hurt.

Sarah said...

That is so sad - poor little kitty. I'm glad she is getting better.

Erinn and Ryan said...

I was so worried when I started reading this post that Ally had been put to sleep. It totally reminds me of what happened to Portia a month ago. I spend a lot of time complaining about Portia, but seeing her so hurt, and nearly losing her, reminded me that I'm not ready for her to go!

So glad kitty is starting to mend.