Friday, November 21, 2008

Handy Man Roberto

So, I've been calling our landlord every other day this week to get this weird smell from our washing machine taken care of. He likes to put things off until I give up trying to get them fixed, but this smell was so embarrassing I pushed and pushed and pushed. I even had a reminder in my phone every other day to call him. So, this morning our handy man shows up. Luckily I slept in so late that I hadn't gone out to do anything productive, so I was home. Completely braless and in pajamas, but home. So I let him in and he explained his plan to me to pour draino down the tube and pour half a bottle of bleach in my washing machine to clean the smell. Well, if any of you were there when we set up our washing machine and dryer you know how precariously it was set up, so when Roberto touched the washing machine tube to pull it out of the wall it came out of the washer too, but he didn't know that. So he proceeds to pour the bleach in while I wait doing homework in our front room, and I hear him make a noise that let me know something was wrong. But of course, me being awkward, I ignore it and continue with my homework. A few minutes later he pops his head out and says there is a problem. I come in and there is bleach covering the entire bathroom floor. I give him white towels to mop it up with (hoping they shred so I have an excuse to buy new and cuter towels--I think white towels are disgusting.) So he tries to mop it up and he is coughing a ton and opening the window. It was so sad and I felt so awkward. And it is now two hours later and I have a head ache from the smell and am trying to avoid the bathroom because it is so strong. But I couldn't avoid it all together because in spite of the fact that it was 3pm, I still hadn't showered and I have students coming. So I went in to shower and sadly had to close the window because it's just too perfect of a view being on the side that our shower head is on and waist high...it was a quick shower I'll tell you. Now I'm avoiding doing my hair and brushing my teeth for the same reason. I was thinking it's a good thing I'm not one of the million pregnant ladies in our family because for sure this would have killed it!

5 comments:

Keri said...

I hate white towels too.

KaSs MiLeS said...

what's wrong with white towels?

rain said...

I don't mind white towels...but you can't really use them during a certain time of the month....(get it, Kass?)
Also, that whole bleach thing WOULD have had you totally losing all stomach acid or lining or lunch if you'd have been preggers at the time. So you lucked out. However...I hope you didn't have any laundry on your bathroom floor, like I always do. If your handy man bleached all your favorite clothes out, I'd be pissed.

Amy said...

Oh man, that is no fun at all! I am so sorry about that! I hope it has gone down a bit?

Kelli said...

The bleach smell has simmered but the rotting smell is making a come back