Thursday, October 30, 2008

(Toe) Tagged

I think Jeff (and all who agreed with him) is absolutely right. It isn’t the normal stuff that makes people interesting, and life worthwhile. Not to me. “I put socks on most days” is pretty normal. And also, therefore, pretty dull. “I have a birthmark shaped like Rupaul” is not normal. But much more worthwhile to hear about. Sadly, I don’t have ANY birthmark, let alone one shaped like a fabulous drag-queen… which I’ll always regret.

For this very love of the hidden and strange I bring to you my meager offering of Seven Oddities.
  1. When I was going to college I’d skip class fairly often… to go to the library. Seven out of ten times it was to read the Oxford English Dictionary because I could then look up the historical travels a word has taken to become what it is today. The “OED” lists dates the word was used for the first time in a certain context and will give you the reference for them. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not a word snob. I don’t care what words people use. I just love words, and the fact they have and can change meaning, and that you can SEE them change meaning through time. They’re much more resilient than people. They can last a long, long time. If they’re useful.


  2. I often confuse being tired with being hungry. Which also often leads me to waking up with the regret of having consumed family sized boxes of Cheezits. I wake up and find wrappers to candy bars and fruit snakes strewn about the living room like a racoon had got into our garbage.


  3. My normal mannerisms and tone of voice are constantly confused for either; A. Sarcasm. or B. Flirtation.


  4. I can watch the same episodes of the same show practically on loop without getting irritated. I think that's part of the reason why I can get along fairly well with autistic people and little kids.

  5. I have made more songs about it being-time-to-go and waking-up-Kelli than anything else in my life. In fact, I maintain that the fact that none of my songs have made it into the mainstream is due to their absolute unmarketability. Some of the titles of songs I've written throughout time include: "Monkey face fever", (co-written with Kevin Murray) "Primordial Emergence of Patrick Ewing", and "Big Ole Undies."


  6. I love spreadsheets. Not even remotely ironically, either.


  7. Even when under the pressure of impending mockery I can't see a picture of a kitten without smiling. Like this one:

8 comments:

Jeff said...

That's a nice picture of your Jordan like skills. I confuse boredom with hunger, that's why I always forget to eat when I'm at work. Those song titles are wonderfully glorious. Oh, and I constantly think you are flirting with me, So does that mean you aren't?

Erinn and Ryan said...

I sympathize with your love of spreadsheets. I would live my entire life on Excel if I could - actually, I did last year. I made several Excel charts of my daily schedule down to 30 minute intervals.

Keri said...

I see that about sarcasm and flirtation, I often misread your feelings as sarcasm.
I love words too, and I love to know where they come from. Taryn has been learning about ancient Rome and Greece and the text is constantly saying, this is where this word comes from, and I love it. It makes me want to learn latin.

KaSs MiLeS said...

You should consider recording "Big Old Undies" and passing it around the family, i've heard its quite a hit! :0)

Kelli said...

It is Erik's favorite! And mine too.

Amy said...

I agree with Kassie,I would love to hear big ole undies...

Kyle said...

Oh, I'm flirting with you, Jeff.

But couldn't you tell it was sarcastically?

And, "Big Ole Undies" evidently is marketable? I had no idea. We'll see if I ever release a rough directors cut of it. It's a scathing social satire. For example, there's a recurring theme of the phrase "Big-big, big ole undies". Cuts to the heart of the human condition, doesn't it?

Shauna said...

If Adam Sandler can market three different versions of Happy Hannakah (Spell?) then I'm sure you could sell your wake up Kelli songs! That kitten is cute.