Sunday, October 5, 2008

To Forgive Is...

I just finished the last 4 pages of my journal and then I turned the page to where I had copied the following poem. And it made me feel really good.

To Forgive Is...
To begin
and there is so much to forgive:
for one, your parents, one and two,
out of whose dim haphazard coupling
you sprang forth roaring, indignantly alive.
For this, whatever else followed,
innocent and guilty, forgive them.
If it is day, forgive the sun
its white radiance blinding the eye;
forgive also the moon for dragging the tides,
for her secrets, her half heart of darkness;
whatever the season, forgive it its various
assaults--floods, gales, storms
of ice--and forgive its changing;
for its vanishing act, stealing what you love
and what you hate, indifferent,
forgive time; and likewise forgive its fickle
consort, memory, which fades
the photographs of all you can't remember;
forgive forgetting, which is chaste
and kinder than you know;
forgive your age and the age you were
when happiness was afire in your blood
and joy sang hymns in the trees;
forgive, too, those trees, which have died;
and forgive death for taking them,
inexorable as God, then forgive God
His terrible grandeur, His unspeakable
Name; forgvive, too, the poor devil
for a celestial fall no worse than your own.
When you have forgiven whatever is of earth,
of sky, of water, whatever is named,
whatever remains nameless,
forgive, finally, your own sorry self,
clothed in temporary flesh
the breath and blood of you
already dying.
Dying, forgiven, now you begin.

Pamela Spiro Wagner, "Divided Minds"

The book I found this in is this amazing account written by Pamela and her twin sister about the struggle they both experienced because of Pamela's diagnosis of schizophrenia. It's a beautifully written and incredibly interesting book and this is one of my favorite poems.

5 comments:

Shauna said...

That is nice, and needed. I think this society places more priority on repentence and while they are both neccessary, I think forgiveness is far more important.

Janelle Johnson said...

Good poem.

Kory said...

It doesn't rhyme. Just kidding, I liked it. Thanks for sharing.

rain said...

I like it, too. I'm afraid it's far too for the "well-adjusted" people, for me, though. I like my revenge. I also think that a great forgiveness song is sung on the movie, Just Friends. If you haven't seen it, check it out.

Do I have to forgive the same thing over and over? I think that's just asking too much. You know what I mean.

Amy said...

I think it is important to try to forgive others, and really forgive them, and not just say, Oh I totally am over it but hold on to it despite. I have this problem, I will admit it but I am trying to work on it. One thing that has helped me to forgive others is when someone makes me mad or offends me I think of at least one thing that I like about that person. The positive thinking helps all my pessimistic thinking...which I have a lot of.