Sunday, January 30, 2011

First ER Trip

Yesterday we noticed that Felix was seeming somewhat dehydrated on top of having Bronchiolitus, so we called the doctor and were sent to the Emergency Room.
Look how teeny he is in the hospital bed!!
We were at the hospital for 2.5 hours and at the pharmacy for about another .5 hour, all after his bed time. But he was so happy and playful with the doctors the whole time. He even got an x-ray and we had to stretch him out on the table. The tech said babies always cry at that part and he was just so excited the whole time. He's such a good baby. We found out his antibiotics for his bronchiolitus was unnecessary because he has a virus, and was making him worse by giving him really awful diarrhea, which was dehydrating him and giving him a horrible diaper rash. In fact, the only time he cried at the hospital was when we had to change his diaper. It was the saddest thing, I almost started crying.
So instead of antibiotics we were given this inhaler and face mask to help him breathe easier.
It looks really sad, but he actually laughs most of the time that we do it and tries to eat the mask. The mask is to help him with the inhaler, since babies don't know how to use them. And after just one day off the antibiotics he is doing so much better.

11 comments:

Erinn and Ryan said...

Totally! Evan spent the past two weeks with diarrhea from antibiotics, too, and the diaper rash he got was heartbreaking. I finally figured out that spraying his bum with water and patting it clean with tissues didn't make him scream.

Poor Felix. I hope he's better soon!

Oh, and we're visiting the week before president's day, I think.

Jerome said...

Why was it so late when you got to the hospital?

rain said...

Isn't it the saddest to see your baby in the hospital bed, outside of birth? I always cry just seeing them there. I'm glad Felix was pretty happy the entire time. It makes it a lot easier on you...because then you can focus on what a great, happy baby you have, rather than you are subjecting to even more torture when they're feeling so terrible, anyway. Glad to hear he's on the up and up!

KaSs MiLeS said...

aren't you glad i suggested you call your dr and go to the ER? i know it seems like the ER is my answer to everything, but sometimes its worth it! hope he feels better soon!

Kory said...

Awww, his first bong!

Cassie said...

Sad! I hope he's feeling better.

Amy said...

That is so sad, but I am glad it wasn't traumatic for you both. I remember the first time I had to take Axel too get boogers sucked at the hospital, I balled. He was a good sport but I cried and cried.

Christy Smith said...

Aaahhh! That's the worst. I'm so glad he was a trooper and that it wasn't too traumatic for all of you. Hope he feels all better soon!

Kyle said...

@Jerome I'm not sure why it took us so long. I guess it took us longer to digest than we expected. Plus, we really needed to do our taxes and catch a movie first.

Ashley said...

Oh no poor little guy! There is really nothing worse than having to see those poor little bodies in pain or sick. Especially super cute ones like Felix. I'm sorry and i hope things are getting better.

Shauna said...

Scary to have a sick baby. I love albuterol inhalers. They are magical and safer than cough medicine or antibiotics.